Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Whats for dinner tonight...SWISS STEAK...


 
Growing up my mom was an amazing cook!  We ate very well, especially when it came to those foods we call comfort foods. 
 
It's funny because I find myself making a lot of these same foods for my family...and of course when I do it brings back so many childhood memories.
 
One dish my mom made a lot was "SWISS STEAK".
Can I just say YUM!!! 
 
This really is a very easy recipe...seriously if I can make it...anyone can!!
 
1 lb boneless beef round steak, cut 3/4 inch thick
2 tb flour
1/4 tea salt
1/4 tea pepper
1 tb cooking oil
1 14-1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic (undrained)
1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced carrots
2 cups hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes
 
Trim fat from meat.  Cut into 4 serving size pieces. Combine the flour, salt, and pepper.  With the notched side of a meat mallet, pound flour mixture into meat.
 
In a large skillet brown meat on both sides in hot oil.  Drain off fat.  Add undrained tomatoes, onion, celery, and carrots.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, adding water as needed, cover, about 1 1/4 hours or until meat is tender.  Skim off fat.  Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes.
 
 
It really was great to always come home from activities to a yummy meal!  So glad my mom taught me how to cook! 
 
ENJOY!!! 

No comments: