Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Best EGGROLLS ever...oh my gosh, I could eat these everyday!

There was one thing my sister, brother and I always looked forward to when my mom was cooking dinner...that was Chinese Food!!
Can I just say YUM!!!
 
Two reasons we looked forward to this was one...it was so dang good!! Best Chinese food every!!  No joke!!  Second reason was LEFT OVERS!!  Yes left overs!  You see mom would take left over eggrolls (cuz mom made a tone of them) and put them in our lunch for school!!  Left over eggrolls were better than cookies, Twinkies, cup cakes, chips and what ever treat mom would put in our lunch!! I'm serious!   I'll let you in on a little secret...shhhhh...my eggrolls never made it to school!! WHY because I ate them on the bus!  Good thing mom sent a sandwich and fruit because I couldn't help myself, as soon as I was out of site of my mom, I would eat my eggrolls!!
 
And now my kid and hubby LOVE them just as much as my sister, brother and I did!  I think if my kids could eat eggrolls every day! Pretty sure I could too! 

I've met people who don't really like Eggrolls but really like these!!

Of course you can't forget the sweet and sour sauce with your eggrolls
 
Start by making the filling and chill for a bit
 
HOW TO FOLD YOUR EGGROLLS
Place filling diagonally on wrap 
Fold bottom corner over filling; roll snugly half-way to cover filling 
Fold in both sides snugly against filling like an envelope; if you need to moisten edges of the flap with water to make them stick.  Most times it will stick on its own 
Roll wrap up and seal top corner 
Lay flap-side down until ready to cook 
Fry in either a wok or a deep fryer; making sure oil is hot but not too hot to burn.  Heat to 375
Time to eat...eggrolls will be hot in the center  
What to do with left over wraps...slice them up  
Fry them in oil  
Cover with either cinnamon and sugar or just sugar...what a great treat
Sweet and Sour Sauce...easy!!
 
EGGROLLS
(I have to be honest...I very rarely measure these ingredients...after so many years of making them I just know how much to add)
 
1/2 to 1 cup of bean sprouts (I use fresh but you can use can just drain)
1/2 to a cup of finely chopped cooked pork
1/4 cup finely chopped cooked shrimp
 (I buy the 5 oz cans and use the whole can, make sure you drain the can and chop)
1/4 cup water chestnuts finely chopped
(again I buy the 5 oz can and use the whole can, just drain)
1 tlb finely chopped green onion
1 slightly beaten egg
1 tlb cooking oil
1 tea soy sauce
1/2 tea sugar
1/4 tea salt
1 pkg of store bought eggroll wraps
 
Combine the first 11 ingredients; chill.  To assemble egg rolls, place 1 tlb filling near edge of eggroll wrap.  Fold edge over filling; fold in both sides.  Roll up, pressing gently to seal.  In wok that is at least 3 inches deep, heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 375.  Fry, a few at a time, about 6 minutes, turning once.  Drain on paper towel.  Repeat till all are cooked.  Serve with sweet and sour sauce if desired. 
 
Also good in lunches cold.  They reheat very well.  You can also use chicken or beef in place of pork. 
 
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/4 cup cold water
2 tlb cornstarch
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
3 tlb sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
3 tlb ketchup
1 tlb soy sauce
 
Combine water and cornstarch; set aside.  In a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients.  Stir over low heat, 3 to 5 minutes.  Stir in cornstarch mixture until sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Makes about 1 1/2 cups.
 
If you use sweetened pineapple juice, omit the sugar.
If you don't want to make the sauce, you can either by sweet and sour sauce at the store or by plum jam and then melt it in a pan...taste good this way also.
 
Fried Rice
(This is such an easy recipe and so much better than buying a package at the store)
 
6 to 8 cups of cold cooked rice
2 tlb oil
1/2 to 1 cup chopped cooked meat (chicken, beef, pork, turkey...I personal prefer pork in my fried rice)
2 or 3 scrambled eggs
2 or 3 green onions chopped
opt: about 1 cup chopped cabbage
Soy Sauce
 
Turn on heat on the wok to about med-hi.  Add oil to hot pan; add onion and cabbage and stir-fry about 1 1/2 minutes.  Add cold rice and stir-fry about 3 minutes.  Add rice and soy sauce to taste (this could be a few tea depending on how much you like).  Add meat if you wish, but heat through about 2 minutes.  If rice seems a little dry add any kind of broth, water or more soy sauce.
 
A lot of times I make the eggrolls as a meal themselves or with the fried rice but if I have company coming, I will also make a beef and broccoli stir-fry to go along with them.  I'll post that recipe another time.
 
ENJOY!! 
 
 

No comments: